Sunday, April 6, 2014

Because of You

I learned a new technique this week from Papertrey Ink's Make it Monday challenge - using gelatos to do watercolour stamping.   I didn't have gelatos and although I could have done something with distress ink… I really wanted to try out gelatos.  My friend helped point me in the right direction of finding them online in Japan (I ordered them from a store called Voice on 楽天).  They don't seem to be readily available here.  I do recommend ordering from overseas, like Simon Says Stamp because of the price and the cost of shipping.  I was able to order a pack of the Faber-Castell Mix & Match Tropical Gelatos.  I chose this set because they had the best colours.  Sno Cone is like a light sky blue, Watermelon is a nice pink, Raspberry is actually purple, and Margarita Mix is a lime colour.  It also comes with two tools - a brush and a dauber.  I definitely recommend this for beginners.



I was playing with a few ideas for my watercolour card, but decided on the Modern Woodmat Stamp Set.  I used all of the four gelatos.  Sno Cone for the the circle woodman, Raspberry and Watermelon on the flower, and Margarita Mix for the leaves.  I tried two techniques.  First, I rubbed the gelatos on the stamp and misted them with water before stamping. Next, I decided I could get a better colour if I used a small paintbrush to wet it with a little water and then stamp.  I think my Mini Mister sprays too much water for the look I was going for.  I used the bracket type stamp along with the sentiment and inked them with Memento Tuxedo Black.  I picked out the lime colour from the image and paired it with my mat layer.  The woodgrain circle matches my card base.  Thanks to PTI again for teaching me a new skill!




1 comment:

  1. I want to try Gelato's too. Love the set you picked up, those colors are nice compliments to each other. Great card. It's fun to learn new techniques. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete