Sunday, January 27, 2013

Japanese New Year's Card 2013

開けましておめでとうございます。  
Akemashite-Omedetou-Gozaimasu!
Happy New Year!


2013 is the Year of the Snake.  Only two more years and I will have completed a full rotation of the 12 years in Japan.  Time flies when you are having fun!  :)

In Japan, people often send out New Year's postcards that are usually delivered on New Year's Day.  If you get a card and didn't send that person one, it is customary to send a card in return.  If you buy your stamps and postcards in advance, you will get ones with a lottery number on them and when the new year comes, the recipient has a chance at a lottery to win prizes.  I have never won.  LOL. 

Though most people often print their cards at home or order them, I have always made them myself (since I started stamping that is).    Here is the postcard I created.  I attached it to a cardbase with some washi paper for an elegant, but cute Japanese card. 

I chose the word stamp because of the cute snake face inside the し and the cherry blossoms that were combined with the kana.  The image stamp was picked because I liked all the elements - the rising sun, Mount Fuji, kanji, and the snake wrapped around it all.  And I am glad it did choose it because it was fun to embellish. 


The back was stamped with my personal name stamp that couldn't be more appropriate.  Love this kimono-dressed girl! 


Were you born in the Year of the Snake?  I'm a monkey!  (No kidding.)

Don't forget to check out my process video, subscribe, and leave a comment! 
[Process video on my YT:  makescrappygoodness]

Products used: 
Paper (Postcard, MFT Wild Cherry, Japanese Washi Paper), Stamp (Kodomo no Kao), Ink (Kodomo no Kao Sakurasaku, Tsukineko Brilliance Graphite Black, Stampin Up - Blushin Bride, Chocolate Chip, Poppy Parade), Stickles (Lime Ice, Cotton Candy), Glitter (Martha Stewart Carrara Marble, Limeade), Water Pen

No comments:

Post a Comment